Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Panavision of the East


My producer took me to visit a camera/grip/electric place today (cameras and lighting gear are sometimes packaged together here). It was definitely an experience - the rental house was basically just a tiny garage located in a side alley. We got to hang out with the owner, this chain-smoking, Rick Rubin-esque guy with a sweet beard, and talked to him about "Mei" and what we need from him (including gaffers, ACs, grips - all of which come as one package). There was no Panavision gift shop or Latte counter.

I was introduced as "director" to everyone (kind of like "professor" or "doctor"). It was a massive ego stroke of course. I was also introduced as being "from California". I'm sure that made me sound like an asshole.

We also went to check out a sound house run by the guy who works with almost every director in Asia (including Wong Kar Wai) - he was really cool too and willing to help out on "Mei" as much as possible both in production and in post. Sweet.

1 Comments:

Anonymous benj said...

Looks great. Love all the deep space and one point perspective.
BB would be proud.

12:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home